The Colosseum officially reopened in June 2020, but the rules have changed. Are you looking to visit the Colosseum in the post COVID-19 world? Here is everything you need to know about visiting the Colosseum after the COVID-19 pandemic:
1. The official capacity is MUCH lower. Seriously. Under normal conditions the Colosseum can host two thousand visitors at any one time. In order to allow social distancing of 1.8 m, only 20 people may enter the museum at any one time. This means the Colosseum is going to be much less crowded – a great reason to visit now!
2. The Colosseum hours have changed. For the moment the opening hours are slightly reduced from the 8.30 entrance pre-COVID. They are as follows:
From 25 to 31 October 08.30 – 16.30
From 1 to 24 October 09.30 – 18.30
3. Advance booking is now Mandatory. Visitors will no longer be allowed to purchase tickets directly from the Colosseum ticket office – all tickets must be purchased online to allow Coopculture to monitor capacity.
4. The 3rd Level is closed until further notice. Unfortunately, visitors cannot access the upper tier of the Colosseum. The underground has recently re-opened to visitors with strict new rules but the upper tiers will remain closed until further notice.
5. Group size is limited to 20 people. If you are travelling in a large group please note the maximum number of people to enter at one time is limited to 20 people. If your group is larger than this you will need to book in separate groups with different timed entrance.
6. There is a restricted route. In order to ensure public safety and social distancing, a one-way visit applies which cannot be deviated. The exhibitions inside are separated by barriers to ensure the strict path is followed.
7. Masks and thermal scans are required. Entrance into all museums and archaeological sites post COVID requires that visitors wear a mask at all times. All visitors will have their temperature measured using a thermo scanner on entrance. Visitors whose temperature registers above 37.5 will not be admitted entrance to the site.
8. These new rules may change! As the CoVID-19 situation evolves, further changes are possible. We hope as the situation improves that restrictions may be lifted and more tickets may be available.